Welcome to the Connecticut Science Center
The Connecticut Science Center is dedicated to supporting our community through science by creating a safe and welcoming environment to inspire curiosity, informal learning and discovery regardless of race, sex, age, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and range of abilities. We foster a welcoming and engaging culture of inclusion, diversity, equity, and access. We celebrate and are dedicated to creating and nurturing an environment of creative thinking, mutual respect, and collaboration in order to provide all individuals we serve with an equal opportunity to have an enriching and meaningful experience.
For Your Safety - COVID-19
Health authorities are monitoring the spread of the COVID-19/Coronavirus. While the impact on Connecticut is uncertain at this time, health officials are preparing, starting with recommendations to avoid or contain the spread of communicable diseases.
SAFETY at play
- There will be a mandatory touchless temperature check prior to entry. The maximum temperature allowed for entry is 100.3.
- Masks covering mouth and nose must be worn at all times (ages 2+).
- Practice safe social distancing by maintaining a minimum distance of 6 feet from other visitors.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for 20 seconds. Hand sanitizer is also available throughout the building.
- Disinfectant wipes and “dirty bins” are being provided for guests to wipe down exhibits and surfaces before and after use.
- The use of hand dryers in the restrooms will be temporarily suspended.
- Some hands-on experiences will be temporarily unavailable when we initially open. This includes the Maximilian E. and Marion O. Hoffman Foundation Science Theater, and the Butterfly Encounter.
- Plexiglas safety shields have been installed in key areas to minimize the spread of germs.
The Science Center has implemented various safety measures to reduce the spread of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). Please visit our FAQ page for information about our current safety measures and precautions you must take before and during your visit.
We expect all guests to behave in a family-friendly manner. We ask you to respect our exhibits and facilities as well as the experience of other visitors. Please refrain from running, yelling or other disruptive behavior.
In order to advance our mission, the Connecticut Science Center reserves the right to refuse service to those who act in ways, or who display any symbols or messages, that the Science Center determines to be hostile, offensive, disorderly, discriminatory, sexist, racist, vulgar, profane, or which are otherwise contrary to our family-friendly and inclusive environment.
Engaging in the behaviors listed below may result in your removal from the Science Center with no refund. Violations perceived as potentially criminal will be reported to local authorities.
- Offensive, abusive or threatening language or behavior towards other guests and/or Science Center staff
- Fighting, provoking a fight, or engaging in otherwise disorderly or boisterous conduct
- Tampering with, defacing, damaging, destroying and/or removing any Science Center property including exhibits and/or artifacts
- Repeated removal of, or refusal to wear, required face coverings or to follow other COVID-19 related safety measures
- Unauthorized distribution of pamphlets or any other literature
- Interfering with or preventing the execution of duties by Science Center staff
- Loitering, gambling, selling, soliciting or campaigning
- Possession, use and/or sale of illegal drugs
- Possession of alcoholic beverages not sold on our premises
- Indecent exposure, sexual acts or other lewd behavior
- Smoking (including vapors & e-cigarettes) inside the Connecticut Science Center building, including the parking garage and within 25 feet of all entrances
- Eating and/or drinking in exhibits and other prohibited areas
- Bringing any prohibited items (listed below)
- Any other behavior determined by the Science Center staff to threaten the safety or enjoyment of our guests, staff and/or property
Prohibited items and Activities – including, but not limited to
- Firearms (law enforcement personnel excepted) and ammunition
- Weapons of any kind, including knives, pepper spray and stun guns/tasers
- Helium balloons and candles
- Pets are not permitted in the Science Center with the exception of service animals used for assistance by persons with disabilities.
- All recreational devices such as drones, remote control toys, skateboards and shoes with built-in wheels.
- Tripods and other professional photography equipment (without prior approval)
- Hazardous materials of any kind including explosives and fireworks
- Any other items deemed by Science Center staff to be dangerous or inappropriate in a public setting.
- Masks (other than health related face masks) may not be worn by guests 10 years or older unless part of a Science Center sponsored event
- The Connecticut Science Center reserves the right to search backpacks, purses and other bags
All guests under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult at all times while visiting the Science Center, without exception, and will not be admitted without adult accompaniment. Minor children should not be left unattended.
Attire – Dress Code
For your safety and in keeping with our family-friendly environment, the Science Center enforces a dress code. Proper attire, including shoes and shirts, must be worn at the Science Center at all times. Tattoos or clothing with offensive language or graphics is not permitted at any time. Examples of clothing not permitted are those which display:
- Pornography or other sexual material
- Support of drugs or drug use
- Promoting discrimination against any group
We reserve the right to deny admission to or remove any person wearing attire that we consider in violation of this policy or attire that could otherwise detract from the experience of other guests.
Photography and video
Visitors are welcome to photograph and video their experience for non-commercial use only. Commercial productions are required to obtain prior, written permission from Marketing and Communications Department.
Lost and Found
Any personal items found by staff will be held in the Security Office for up to 10 days. To follow up on lost items, please contact the Security Supervisor at 860-520-2155.
There is a First Aid station on the Main Lobby Level. If medical assistance is needed please see a staff person or visit the Security Desk for assistance.
The Science Center has four wheelchairs available on a first come, first served basis. The wheelchairs are signed-out at the Security Kiosk on the Main Lobby Level.
The Connecticut Science Center reserves the right to add, withdraw or modify these terms and other policies as it deems in its best interests to do so.